Friday, September 02, 2005

Donate to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina

OK, I've let out my emotional rant, but whatever I think is wrong about what caused this disaster is not as important as what we need to do to help people now.

The Red Cross is accepting donations and will be helping people in the gulf region.

Ed Schultz , progressive radioshow host, is promoting the idea that people need to adopt families and victims of this disaster and has many people committed to opening up their homes to people in affected by the hurricane.

Other organizations helping people in the gulf region:

Direct Relief
World Vision
Network for Good
Salvation Army
Catholic Charities

As I started to list these organizations, I came across a Washington Post article that had a much more comprehensive list of charities accepting donations and organizations looking for volunteers.

I urge everyone to go to any one of these groups and donate what you can.

While I am frustrated by the government's response and responsibility for this crisis, I am heartened by the response of the American people. The Red Cross has received over 72million dollars in donations to help the victims of the hurricane and the flooding. The American people apparently know something about community that our government seems to have forgotten. There is hope for us yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Liberal Blogs »
Blogarama - The Blog Directory this is a Proud Liberal Site