Thursday, December 02, 2004

Selective Moral Values

Yes, this is just like selective hearing and selective memory. Pick the parts of Christianity you like, discard anything that you personally don't agree with, add any of your own internal fears and prejudices, revile all else as evil. Mix to a religious fervor...viola! Selective Moral Values.

Apparently, a couple of the major networks are refusing to air a commercial put together by the United Church of Christ because the add promotes acceptance of gay and lesbian couples.

""Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples...and the fact that the executive branch has recently proposed a Constitutional amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast," the church quoted CBS as saying. "

I don't know about the rest of you, but the Bible I own isn't annotated with a list of appropriate exceptions of people its OK to hate. What exactly did Jesus mean when he asked us to love one another? forgive your enemy? turn the other cheek? forgive 70x7? I don't think I need Jerry Falwell to tell me.

"FALWELL: Well, I think this, that the spiritually unhealthy legalization of a reality, a man married to a man, a woman married to a woman, cannot help but to leave a very bad role model for the children of Massachusetts and... "
(from CNN's Anderson Cooper's transcripts)

I can read and think just fine on my own, thanks, and Jesus never said that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Liberal Blogs »
Blogarama - The Blog Directory this is a Proud Liberal Site