Thursday, December 23, 2004

Mother Jones Article

Michael Kazin wrote this magnificent article in Mother Jones about some of the problems with the Democratic party and what it needs to do to shore up its support. I have highlighted a few quotes from the article that I think are pretty important.

I did a lot of volunteering during the election through the Kerry website and I have one huge complaint, one that could have tipped the balance in this election.

Since last Nov/Dec I have attended meetups. I was living in Phoenix at the time. I went to Kerry meetups, Dean meetups and Democrat meetups. There were huge numbers of people who were showing up at these meetups just begging for something to do. They wanted a concrete plan for electing a democratic president and getting Bush out of office. I really do have to say, the only people who had anything like an organized effort were the Dean people. When Kerry became the nominee, I thought the Kerry campaign would become more organized and supportive of the local initiative that was taking place. I didn't see that. Even after I moved to Virginia and started volunteering through the Kerry website for voter registration, I saw no effort from the Kerry machine to organize local energy.

Now, it could be that since I was just a volunteer and not a staff member that I had no idea what was going on behind the scenes, but other people I talked to felt the same way. While the Kerry website had thousands of people signed up to volunteer, they did not actually tap into all of that energy and enthusiasm. It seemed that the only events on the site were fundraising parties. And unless you lived in an area where someone independently organized events such as voter registratioin drives, there wasn't much else going on. One guy in our area did organize some events and tons of people showed up who were just dying to do something. After much searching and networking in my local area, I did actually have one or two days where I did make my way down to the Kerry headquarters in Alexandria and they were begging for volunteers. Apparantly, the Kerry campaign collected all sorts volunteer information and did not disseminate that information down to the local level. I don't know if it was any different in battleground states, but I felt the organization was very disorganized.

So, unless you searched endlessly for volunteer opportunities in your local area, organized your own events or lived in a battleground states, you had difficulty building up a base. And honestly, people who don't do campaigning for a living, such as myself, do not know what it takes to run a campaign, when we sign up in droves to volunteer, we need direction and organization coming from somewhere. Now, I'm fortunate in that I now live in a very politically active community where are there are lots of people who have done this before and have some idea on how to organize, but most of America lives outside the beltway. If the Kerry camp had used that long list of people willing to volunteer to tap into the local energy, I can assure you, Karl Rove would have needed more than Ken Blackwell in his pocket to ensure a Bush victory.

"Neglected amid the rush to explain Kerry’s defeat was the simple fact that he didn’t have a strong, broadly rooted party behind him.
...

The upsurge of progressive activism in the 2004 campaign was quite thrilling to behold. First-time activists worked alongside veteran organizers to make the case against the incumbent, register new voters, and get them to the polls. But, like any new movement, this one was a freelance affair, haphazardly coordinated and badly in need of the direction only a strong, motivated party can provide.

...

The upsurge of progressive activism in the 2004 campaign was quite thrilling to behold. First-time activists worked alongside veteran organizers to make the case against the incumbent, register new voters, and get them to the polls. But, like any new movement, this one was a freelance affair, haphazardly coordinated and badly in need of the direction only a strong, motivated party can provide.

...

The need to redemocratize the Democratic Party is as urgent as the task of shoring up its tattered infrastructure."

2 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Even after I moved to Virginia and started volunteering through the Kerry website for voter registration, I saw no effort from the Kerry machine to organize local energy." I am unable to more strongly agree with you. This was really the reason that the war was lost. To hear the 'right' tell it, Nov 2 was a mandate for their guy. Joseph C. Phillips (NPR guest writer) is an unabashed Ultra-Conservative. The "protect marriage" type. He likes to pimp the idea that Bush's election was a mandate based on "received more votes than any other politician in history..."
What this leaves out is that Kerry also received more votes than any other politician (including Reagan, Bush, Nixon, Kennedy...you name it) in history and only 2% behind Bush. That type of Spin is exactly why we keep losing these elections. You have hungry-for-action people who are dying to contribute. The complete lack of leadership is the only thing holding back our more moderate agenda. Hopefully, this loss will lead to purge of the McAuliffe's and the Cahill's and the rise of the Obama's and Clinton-esque centrists. Centrism is not a bad thing after all.
I went to various Meet-Up's during the campaign as well. I really hate to admit it, but I knew...at those meetings I knew that these people didn't have the 'fire' necessary to win the war. Some of the attendees were the 'liberals' that you hear the 'right' making fun of. Well-to-do people who might hold up a sign, and/or vote...but the activism stops there. Perhaps we (liberals) are just too open minded to focus on an agenda like that...but until we do...we'll keep losing. We'll need real energy and enthusiasm to beat Bill Frist in 08. I have it...but does the populace?

Thanks

Chuck
http://blackwednesday.org

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger liberalprogressive said...

Chuck...thanks for the comment. I am always so excited when I get a comment on my site.

I disagree a little with some of your points. I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not really a centrist. While I believe in being able to reach out to the other side and come to the middle to negotiate, I think this current brand of centrism has the ability to really break apart the Democratic Party. McAulliff and the Clintons are of that ilk. I'm not sure where Obama is in the grand scheme of things, but I do think he has a lot of promise.

I think by concentrating on trying to be "the centrist party," we will spend too much of our time trying to recreate another Clinton and waste a lot of time losing to Republicans. The more we embrace the center, the more the Republicans move to the right and change the rules. After all, why should people vote for the centrist Republican-lite party when they can just go ahead and vote for the real thing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Clintons. I think Bill Clinton was great for the Democratic party in many ways, but he is a product of the DLC. And I think that we (liberals and Democrats) are so much more than that and can achieve any goal if we just stick to our values and produce a candidate who can tap into the grass roots mobilization and really motivate the populace.

The Republicans have won nothing by coming to the middle and being centrist. They are wildly popular now and have done so by moving further and further to the right. And they are seen as the party who stands by their values. Every time we move closer to the right, we send the message that our values are not as good and that we don't have a strong enough character to have the courage of our convictions. That's why I'm all for Democrats getting back in touch with their liberal base, taking back that word and its meaning and showing America why it is a better choice.

I'll admit, there are some liberals out there that fall into a certain stereotype of "liberal elites" who just write a check, carry a sign and cast their vote and don't have the fire to really drive a campaign. But some of them have earned the right to pass the torch. Many of them are older (certainly many of the ones that I've met) and they did their time with grassroots organizing through Freedom Rides, civil rights marches, war protests and political campaigns in the 60s and 70s. And its time for the post baby-boom generations (myself included) to take up that torch and do some of that work. And even if they don't fit into this category of "liberal elites" I'm not for purging anyone who is actually willing to vote Democrat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Liberal Blogs »
Blogarama - The Blog Directory this is a Proud Liberal Site